Nikola Tesla in his laboratory at 46 & 48 East Houston Street, New York City, a few blocks south of Washington Square. He is shown holding a gas-filled, phosphor-coated, wireless light bulb that he developed to replace the inefficient Edison incandescent lamp. The lamp is 250 candlepower, providing the total illumination for a two-second exposure. It is a type of lamp which we refer to today as a fluorescent lamp. Circa mid-1896. Originally published as a rendering on the cover of the Electrical Experimenter in 1919.